Saturday, June 4, 2011

Diving In - the New Book

Soon it will be that time again. I've almost finished editing The Lamplighter's Special, and it will be going up on Kindle soon.

That means that in a few days I'll start a new book. That's a scary, frightening, magical thing. It's one thing to be in the middle of a project; it is another to face a blank page again.

Anything could happen there. Lately a few ideas have been nudging me, waiting to crystallize as written words. I've been thinking a lot about bathyspheres, about the history of medicine, and about some strange characters called Old Hundred Coats and Old Thousand Coats.

At the same time, I have to start from nothing. I will have to create a structure out of the aether, hoping that a few aeronauts will come and give me a little guidance. I will need a map, but no one is going to give me one - I'll have to draw that map myself before I can start that voyage.

I'll take that dive, along with a lot of other authors. They are out there now too, getting ready to listen to that singing voice, the muse, the constant urge to tell a story.

4 comments:

Lisa Yarde said...

The blank page - one of the scariest things a writer has ever seen. I know and understand your trepidation, but you'll be just fine. Good luck with the new project.

Also, I love the new layout.

Alison DeLuca said...

Thanks, Lisa! That means a lot, coming from you. http://thebrooklynscribbler.blogspot.com/is a gorgeous blog.

LW said...

You've got the courage to do it - you've already proven that once, which is a lot more than most people manage. That said, I doubt that makes it much easier, but I hope you can savor the experience and the exciting part of the feelings at the same time you work to get further on.

Alison DeLuca said...

OH, I shall. I guess I'm just savoring that moment - when the story is still fresh and perfect in my mind, and I haven't made any dreadful author errors yet.....