Friday, February 10, 2012

Valentines from the Past

Ah, me, romance used to be a very flowery, lacy thing. Look at this lovely Victorian valentine:
Aw. Doves. Awwww.
And you have the 50's ones, rife with bad puns:
 Bet you never saw this one coming:
Ouch, it hurts


I think I might have sent this one to an ever-suffering friend, back in the day:
Actually, this one is sort of  fabulous.

I can just picture the writers, all in their poly suits, sitting back with a coffee or a high ball, offering puns and groaning in unison. "Hey, fellas, Deer? Match? Plane? Sweet? Viking?"

Then there are the themed Valentine cards:

I kinda like this one, too, the more I look at it.
Really, Gandalf? Really?
And then there's this guy. It's not to hard to see why he is eating ALONE:
D Bag.

3 comments:

Johanna Garth said...

I have a small love affair with Valentines. This year we're giving out Valentines with small tattoos. But if I had my way we'd be making our own a la Victorian style.

Alison DeLuca said...

Aren't they gorgeous? We're handing out Monster High theme V cards this year, apparently. Oh, well.

Carlie said...

Very topical - love the first one!

Don't know if it's just me, but I can't see the bottom picture!!

C x